Transition into Work

If you decide that you want to leave school and find work you may need some support to find a suitable job.

Careers New Zealand provides information and advice about possible career options. Their website also has some useful practical tools to help you on your way.

The Vocational Services Transition service, funded by the Ministry of Social Development, assists all school leavers with very high needs who receive ORS funding to transition from school. These services can be accessed through your local school.

Workbridge is a professional employment service for people with all types of disability, including people who have lived with the long-term effects of injury and illness.

Supported employment is a concept that aims to get people who are disadvantaged in the labour force into meaningful employment. This includes people living with a disability. ASENZ represents supported employment organisations and agencies throughout New Zealand.

Gateway is a work experience programme offered by schools involving one day a week placements for students in years 11 -13. While on placement you will work towards assessments for credits on the National Qualifications Framework that count towards your NCEA. Speak to your school to find out more.

Trades Academies aim to equip students in years 11-13 with the vocational skills and training necessary to gain employment. You can find a trades academy in your region.

Modern Apprenticeships allow you to earn while you learn a new trade. For many they can be a great way into employment.

Work and Income also has a range of support to assist you into work.

The Youth Service aims to get young people aged 16 to 18 years old into education, training or work-based learning. This helps you to gain the skills to find a job and have an independent future. Community-based providers work with you to give guidance, support and encouragement to help find the education, training or work-based learning that works.Financial assistance is available from Work and Income as part of the Youth Service. The Youth Service may also be an option if you don’t need financial assistance, but are not engaged in education, employment or training (NEET) and you’re at risk of coming on to a benefit at the age of 18.

You may also find it useful to read through our section on Employment which has useful tips on how to find work and details of the various organisations who can help you into a job

Browse by Education