How To Complain

If you feel your rights have been breached, the first step should be to contact the person or organisation providing the service directly. In many cases they will be able to deal with your complaint and it may help them to improve their standards.

If this doesn't resolve things to your satisfaction, you can complain to the Human Rights Commission. They will assess your case and if it looks like you have been unlawfully discriminated against, a mediator will contact you and will help both parties to find possible solutions. If mediation doesn't work, you can take your issue to the Human Rights Review Tribunal which is like a court.

To complain about a breach of the Health and Disability Services Consumer Rights Code you should contact the Health and Disability Commissioner. Your complaint will be assessed and complaints resolution staff will make a recommendation to the Commissioner on how the complaint should be handled and what further action may be needed.

When looking for legal assistance, get the advice of an individual or organisation that has practical experience in the field. You can find help in our advocacy section.

Browse by Access & Inclusion