The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities provides protection from discrimination for parents with a disability. It states that;
- Persons with disabilities including children, retain their fertility on an equal basis with others.
- Governments must offer appropriate assistance to persons with disabilities in the performance of their child-rearing responsibilities.
- In no case shall a child be separated from parents on the basis of disability of either the child or one or both of the parents.
- If you are of marriageable age you have the right to marry and start a family on the basis of consent from each spouse.
- You have the right to decide freely and responsibly on the number and spacing of your children as well as having the means necessary to access age-appropriate information, reproductive and family planning education.
If you believe you are being discriminated against because of your disability you may want to speak to an advocate who will listen to your complaint and give you information on your rights and options.